alex wallis wrote:
That is not entirely correct, the file name is read after the beep if you are just going up or down with the joystick with single movements, however if you hold the joystick down in a given direction you just hear the beep. Admittedly it gets played continuously until you release the joystick, however this is an issue I guess that could be corrected.

If you'd read earlier posts fully, this part of the thread is specifically about correcting that issue as an alternative to the beep...

Why not give people this patch, but also a setting to enable it so that pondlifes speech option of having the first and last items read can be used as an alternative.

Because we're looking for a way to solve the problem while avoiding further settings bloat.

After all, some people like beeps such as me, other people would probably prefer pondlifes solution if they are holding down the joystick or wheel to go up or down.

Not every possible desire can (or should) be addressed.

I don't agree with that argument, assume they know there item is three from the bottom, they scroll to the end of the list, knowing instantly they reached it when they hear the beep, they can then just go up rapidly a few times and bang they know they are on there item. Admittedly I guess the same would be true if pondlifes solution was used though.

Or, as I've said MANY times now, they could just press "up" to be at the bottom of the list, then go up from there.

That assumes they are not down in the middle of a huge folder the beep indicates when either top or bottom is reached.

You can always skip back to the top of the folder by leaving and re-entering the folder. This takes much less time than scrolling, and provides you immediate access to either end of that list.

The beep simply helps me keep track of my location in terms of where I am in a given list of files or folders. I did not know till now that holding the joystick in a given direction would allow me to stop at the end or beginning of the list. So I have been scrolling by rapidly moving up or down, and listening for that beep which told me instantly I had gone to the top or bottom of a list. But I don't really use it as a reference point when looking for a particular item.

It really sounds like this beep is more there due to lack of knowing about existing ways to navigate Rockbox.