pondlife wrote:

Maybe we should put all of the "RAM saving" options together under System > Limits and enable Timestretch by default?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Could you explain a little more?

The current UI nudges the pitch up/down only while you hold a the key down, making it really easy to use. I really can't see that a menu UI would work so well.

To be honest, I may have a poor understanding of "nudge" in the first place. Could you explain exactly what nudge is for?

You'd need to calculate the corresponding percentage, and you can't adjust both parameters at the same time (e.g.. you'd increase pitch, then decrease speed, rather than doing both at exactly the same time as you currently can)

Calculate the corresponding percentage for what, exactly? And why wouldn't you need to calculate a percentage with the old system? I can't understand what you're trying to do, here, that requires calculations but didn't previously.

I agree that we should be making it easier to use, but I disagree strongly that a menu would make for a easier-to-use UI here. (I can only speak for button-based use, I've no experience with Rockbox on a scrollwheel or touchscreen - that might be very relevant to our disagreement.)

I assure you, it's basically the least intuitive screen on the iPod at the moment, and it's not something easy to resolve by keymap alone. The screen layout just doesn't work for it. But I think if you could explain, exactly, what uses you have a menu layout may not be as bad as you think.

Certainly, defaulting to having Timestretch enabled would improve usability, but I don't know if other developers would accept the RAM impact (when discussed on IRC way back when, it seemed timestretch wouldn't be acceptable for committing if it gave a compulsory RAM loss).

Well, as I said, pitchscreen cleanup might mitigate at least a portion of that too.