pondlife wrote:

I don't think it's hard to work out at all, but again, I've not used it with
a scrollwheel.

Yes, and it's quite hard to use (and goes contrary to established expectations from the quickscreen) on several targets in a way that can't be effectively addressed without changing at least how the screen is displayed.

I diisagree - The semitone screen could be possibly built in by using 1/n
ths of a semitone rather than percentages, but I suspect that the loss of
accuracy for beatmatching and/or the many more clicks needed to raise by one
semitone would not make this an improvement to the UI.  OR we could use a
shift key modifier to step in semitones, but maybe not on all targets and
that complicates the keymap.

This is based on the assumption that you're keeping the pitchscreen how it is, rather than moving it to lists. You can navigate up and down lists fairly quickly on wheel targets, and most non-wheel targets have a page up/down as well as accelerated scrolling, so a moderately fine grained semitone-based list works for both of these.

Yes, but only if you want to use timestretching. 80% (or so) of the time, I want to change pitch without using timestretch so as to keep decent audio quality, thus IIUC I'd need to be changing both speed and pitch identically. Yes, I could disable timestretch, but it's still many more keypresses to do what the current pitch screen does fluidly

With a list, timestretch on/off could be at the same level as the two other list entries, so the number of keypresses could even be equal, or possibly only one or two more. So again, not a real problem if they were lists.

Because it's a good UI and one of the best parts of Rockbox, IMHO (since way back when in the Archos days).
It's not a good UI now that we have a very wide range of targets with different input capabilities. It's a good UI in very specific cases, and the only advantage you've listed for it over lists is "it saves me a button press or two" which, I think a couple extra button presses, a half second here or there, is something worth considering sacrificing to make the screen more new-user friendly.