On 2010-08-11 10:37, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
Right, but without some mechanism to load a newer build of rockbox (or
a user build) it means than the android target can only run builds we
release, which goes against the whole svn build system (imo).

If a new build is pushed to the market every single commit then that
would be painfully annoying for users. If a new build is only pushed
on releases then there is no room for the nightly/svn builds or even
custom builds unless users want to repackage it themselves (and sign
it with their own key which would mean they couldnt then use our
build).

Or, we add that mechanism and everyone is happy.

I am far from an Android expert, but couldn't we build (and sign) apk's in the nightly build? Then the user can choose which path to go, either wait for a market release, or install the apk manually from the rockbox site.

Sure, we could invent our own update mechanism, but I fear that we will only buy ourselves even more support problems, when that mechanism fails for whatever reason.

I think the simplest solution would be to publish the stable releases on the market, and then offer nightly apk's for manual installation.

Linus