I'm starting to like that idea. I'm not so worried about the download size, but about the size it needs on the internal flash memory. The available space there is quite tight for many people and they will be unhappy/angry if we use like 20MB because we support 10 screen resolutions in a single .apk. Remember, the .apk itself is also stored there not only the extracted one.

It could maybe only check for an updated rockbox.zip if it was just installed/updated from the market, do not bypass the update-via-marked thing too much.

I fear a one-apk-fits-all-screens apk isn't going to work really well (unless we can manage to make Rockbox not rely on a fixed screen size that is).

Best regards.