On 10/9/2010 1:22 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Then if more people agree with the objection than agree with the feature being
implemented, it gets abandoned.  The clearer the argument for rejecting, and
the better the reason/s, the more likely it is that the feature gets thrown
out, just as the clearer and better the argument for including it, the more
likely it is to be adopted.

The problem I see with "requiring good reasons" is that the people in favor of the idea will nearly always say "your reasons aren't good enough." People can support an idea without being challenged - nobody can say "your reason for supporting this idea isn't good enough, so your vote doesn't count." There should never be a mechanism in place where somebody can decide a vote on either side doesn't count, as there is nobody impartial who can make this decision.

Instead, it should be a simple, clean vote. Someone can always say "I'm against it until this is cleared up" which creates an obvious goal which will change their vote, but no vote should be dismissed simply because other people don't see it that way and so write the vote off as not counting (on either side).