On 09.10.2010 14:39, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
My suggestion for what's required to get a new feature added:

Three devs (expressed) in favour (+1), and none being against (-1) given enough time to react (ie more than 24 hours).

If there's anyone agaist it, there must be reasons specified for the negative vote and there should be a discussion for what's needed to make the veto go away.

I believe this is roughly how the Apache foundation does it. If we want to, we can check that up more careful to see if we can adapt their "rules" even more verbatim.

Just my idea.

Sounds good to me, I'd really like to see more democracy and formalism in the decision process. Currently it's more or less up to one person (and therefore inconsistent) when and under which circumstances (and if it at all) a feature gets in. That could possibly scare new contributors and developers away

OTOH, how do we tell whether a vote is needed? Some commits might seem trivial or small enough (even if they add features) that one might think it's not needed. And do we revert a change if we think there should be a vote post-commit?

I also fear that it adds so much bureaucracy, that innovation is blocked because of a tedious decision process. But I guess other projects have shown that this is normally not the case?

Best regards.