On 26/08/2011 07:46, sideral wrote:
After much IRC discussion, it turned out that my first assessment (that
there would be little to no concern about the T&D menu move) was wrong.
Discussions are still ongoing on how to change the menu in the short and
long term.  Personally, I'm only marginally interested in the menu
layout, and I will not anticipate the result by committing any menu
change now.

Also, everyone agreed that the sleep-timer enhancements are not blocked
by any menu change, so the following part of the plan is still in place:

* In the "Time&  Date" menu:
   * "Sleep Timer" offers the last-used timer value as its default.
     (This value is made persistent by way of the settings code.)  When
     the timer is running, the entry changes to "Cancel Sleep Timer
     (hh:mm)", showing the remaining time.

   * Add "Start sleep timer on boot" option after "Alarm Wake up Screen".

Nick Peskett, the original patch author, has updated his patch to
implement just this (see FS#10849).  I'll commit this patch after I've
reviewed and tested it unless something unexpected comes up.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in to this discussion!  You've certainly
helped making the patch smaller.  Er, better. ;-) Special thanks to Nick
for keeping up his good spirits.

Cheers,
sideral

It seems something unexpected came up in the last month...

Would anyone else mind checking the patch with a view to checking it in?

It's quite trivial now, I've pared the patch down so it changes as little as possible, there's probably more additions to the manual/ lang files than to the code.

BTW, the only difference from sideral's summary above, I didn't implement renaming the existing "Sleep Timer" menu item to "Cancel Sleep Timer (hh:mm)" when the sleep timer is active. It occurred to me that this would only be accurate when the menu item was generated, if a user required a countdown, they'd be better off with a theme that showed time remaining.

Thanks,

Nick