Reposted as a new thread, as requested:

I would like to see some discussion (and eventually, an authoritative
decision or consensus) regarding the recent increase in resolution of
volume and equalizer handling to 0.1dB.

I highly doubt that a 0.1dB difference is at all audible. Moreover, it
will probably do absolutely *nothing* on targets with hardware that
doesn't support it, which I bet means a lot of devices.

I wouldn't bring this up if it improved anything at all (I don't think
it does), and if it didn't degrade basic functionality (getting volume
or the graphical EQ to the desired values is a lot slower).

It seems that the patches (and commits) were validated a bit hastily,
by few people, and without much thought given to the consequences.

Unless someone demonstrates a significant advantage that I haven't
thought of, and / or fixes the sluggishness of dealing with 0.1dB
increments with volume keys and in the graphical equalizer, I would
like these changes to be either completely reverted, or fixed,
usability-wise. soap, on IRC, proposed that such fine-grained values
be accepted in the configuration file, but not reflected in the user
interface. That sounds perfectly acceptable to me, and would probably
satisfy the most "enthusiastic" users, without bugging everyone else.

Guillaume Cocatre-Zilgien