dothebart: I've tracked down the locale problem, and I believe I have it
solved.  I've done a couple of things:

 1. The "C" locale is initialized without the ".UTF8" suffix, because the
"C" locale is ASCII.  That locale now initializes properly.

 2. wc_strftime() now checks to make sure it's not trying to use a NULL
locale.  It falls back to strftime() instead of strftime_l() if that's the
case.  That'll give you the date/time in "C" locale format, but at least
it won't crash.

 3. The central problem on Sarge seems to be that the locales you need are
not installed by default.  You need to do "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and
make sure you've got the following locales selected:

  en_US.UTF8
  de_DE.UTF8
  it_IT.UTF8
  en_GB.UTF8

 Make sure those locales are selected and installed, then start up WebCit
and watch the logs to see if all of the locales initialized properly.

 Please let me know how it goes.