A little troubleshooting last night with a Citadel user running Gentoo
revealed that our PAM configuration file was a little less than portable:

#%PAM-1.0
#
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

After a little bit of experimentation, I've changed the default to:

#%PAM-1.0
#
auth       include system-auth
account    include system-auth
session    include system-auth

This appears to be portable, although I haven't yet found any relevant
documentation in LSB that says how to do this stuff.  It appears to be valid
on even older RedHat-ish systems, along with current Ubuntu and Gentoo.  If
anyone could shed some
light on whether "include system-auth" is either a
de jure standard or at least widely portable, I'd appreciate the insight.