I guess it would come down to the ability to dump the data at a regular
interval, and the speed at which it can be transported. Does the DB need to
be in a shut down state to replicate? I would be interested in what info you
have found regarding it.

I like the idea of a way to invoke a citadel to be a standby, as long as it
can drop out of standby mode and start up as a server without some long
process of shutting down first.

Also, I use something similar right now for replicating my data. I have
/usr/local/citadel in a zfs backed partition, which I replicate through zfs
send / receive on a remote server. So my data is in general not more than a
minute old, but it is all manually hacked together and neither server knows
if it is still supposed to be running and such. It would be beneficial for
the master / replication slave to have a pull method (then you are not
bogging down the master with trying to figure out who needs a copy of the
data and you can have multiple geo distinct locations pulling a copy to
potentially be the master. This would deal with firewall issues in general,
as the command can be sent through the existing command interface.

I could go on, but would like to know if this is a productive line of
thought. It would be REALLY helpful to many of us to make this happen.