All righty then.  The current code in git master is running on FreeBSD.
Here's the deal:

 1. You need ldap client library (`pkg install openldap26-client`) even if
you aren't using LDAP
 2. `gmake` and `gcc` are required.  It won't build with whatever FreeBSD
is using natively.
 3. The configure script now detects whether it needs `-lresolv` and/or `-lintl`
automatically
 4. We now omit the `chkpw` and `chkpwd` programs on systems where they won't
work.  I'd actually like to remove system auth completely but I don't know
if anyone is using it.

 On my FreeBSD system I was able to get the server running and I ran the new
`loadtest` utility with a few dozen threads beating the crap out of it.  I
abruptly killed the server with SIGKILL and SIGQUIT numerous times, during
periods of high write activity, and even under the worst conditions it did
not corrupt the database.

 Looking really good here.