>The rc system fully detaches it from the entire call stack, in the
 >end it just looks like init ran the daemon.  The rc system is really
 >just a series of shell scripts, nothing too fancy.  That's why PID
 >files are so important, the rc system uses those to figure out which
 >PID to send signals to.

 Cool.  Give the new version a try and let me know how it works for you.

 We don't have the ability to auto-background anymore, but we can still write
a PID file.

 SIGTERM and SIGINT will make the server shut itself down cleanly, and it
does so much faster now.

 SIGKILL and SIGQUIT will make the server exit abruptly, and as previously
noted, it doesn't seem to corrupt the db anymore when you do this.