We need to first fix up the logon screen. I have tried this, except the problem lies with CreateDesktop() not wanting to create more than one desktop within the Winlogon process.

At this stage, the logon/logoff functionality does not work at all, and some processes still linger about.

It appears explorer shell is one of them.