One thing I didn't notice being mentioned. Windows xp (and 2003) indeed
runs on old computers but it won't budge on anything less than a Pentium 1.
Expectedly, somewhat.

Windows 7 (and Vista) runs on a K6-2. These were tested by me. I still
haven't managed to try the original K6 or the K5 processors. During the
availability of the Vista beta version, there was a guy who reportedly had
it installed on a K5.

Before you say omg it would be hellishly slow, the trick is to have a DX9
compliant video card installed. That will enable Aero and make things
reasonable. ReactOS already uses the video card to render the interface
afaik, so that's even better.