From: Ros-dev <ros-dev-boun...@reactos.org> On Behalf Of Victor Perevertkin
Sent: 9. veljače 2021. 16:47
To: ReactOS Development List <ros-dev@reactos.org>
Subject: [ros-dev] The situation with version 0.4.14

Hello!

It seems for me that it's time to bring up the topic about our RC version -
0.4.14.

Our current "stable", 0.4.13 was branched on 30 September, 2019 (remember those
peacefull pre-COVID times :D) That's quite some time, but not the main issue
I'd like to discuss.

0.4.14 was branched on 24 April, 2020. That's almost a year already.
And we're in a difficult situation here - there are regressions, but nobody
fixed them within this long time.
According to https://reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.14, there are 29 unfixed
regressions found for this release. I'd like to point out: most of them are
among usermode and non-kernel/driver functionality, and as our development is
mostly focused in the kernel right now, it's unexpected for them to be fixed
unless a volunteer comes up.

A quick reminder. Our "releases" mechanism is useful for finding regressions in
the first place, there is no that much benefit for users here, because we're
still a "deep" alpha. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Joakim made a great job finding all regressions, and this work won't be lost in
any case.

We can't wait forever and I think it's time to resolve this situation somehow.
I see two options:
1. Release 0.4.14 as-is. There were a lot more buggy releases, nobody dies from
this.
2. Skip 0.4.14. This already happened once in the history of the project -
0.3.2 was skipped. I wasn't around at the time, but I may guess that reasons
were similar to what we have today.
(3.) Fix the bugs quickly. I don't expect this to happen, but who knows, maybe
a volunteer appears :)

Let's vote. This seem to be the only way for us to decide on things.
Votes from the team members will be collected until 1 March.

===

I personally vote for skipping the release. The work on finding regressions is
already done, so the most important part of a release cycle for us is there
(thanks Joakim!) If we do a release now, all the stuff we were writing in news
reports for the last 6 month would be missing from it. That would cause (as I
think) a lot of confusion to people. Moreover 0.4.14 is not that featureful
release itself (compared to 0.4.13, which brought the new USB stack) So I
suggest to move on and start checking 0.4.15 for regressions. I expect quite
some of them to appear and we need time for fixing.

Cheers,
Victor