At 9:35 PM -0500 11/15/06, John Siracusa wrote:
>On 11/15/06 9:12 PM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
>>  Anyway, below is a small addition (without tests) to Rose::DB::MySQL
>>  to add support for SET columns.
>
>Does MySQL actually have native SET support?  If not, what does this feature
>get you beyond the Array column type, which is already emulated for MySQL?

AFAIK, MySQL has had support for a set-like type
for a long time; as it has also had support for
an ENUM type.

Here are relevant documentation urls for 3.x thru
4.1, though I anticipate the later MySQL hasn't
changed them much:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/string-types.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/enum.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/set.html

So these do exist, but I should point out that
they are rather limited in functionality, and
have certain caveats of use.  Beware of using
either ENUM or SET in numeric context, as what
happens won't be what you expect; always use
either in string context.

You may be better off to use a related table instead for general purposes.

-- Darren Duncan