Chris Cannam wrote:
To put this another way: when the duration or contents of a single segment changes in normal editing use, does the canvas refresh everything, or only that segment?
Only that segment, although to be more precise, what happens exactly is that the canvas receives an update request for the segment's rectangle. But these requests are buffered and processed asynchronously - they are not forced repaints. (come to think of it I may be wrong here, in that I perhaps left some global update requests in some places).