On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Geoff King <gski...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I just found a bug that crashes rosegarden and locks up my system.
> This happens when alsa seq is used with hrtimer setting in rosegarden. This is
> on Fedora 12 w CCRMA rt kernel and rosegarden 10.04.2.  I had to hit the reset
> button to get out of it.
>
> To make it happen:
>
> 1) start module snd_hrtimer
> 2) start qjackctl/jackd running with midi driver set to SEQ.
> 3) start rosegarden and go into preferences and change midi timer preference
> from auto hrtimer.
> 4) system locked up..
>
> Also locks up when starting rosegarden and these settings are saved.

This sounds like a kernel bug rather than anything that Rosegarden can
influence.  Changing the timer setting in Rosegarden just makes
Rosegarden tell the ALSA kernel layer to use a different timer, it
makes no other difference to Rosegarden's own behaviour.

There is a long history of unstable interactions between RT kernel
patches and the different ALSA sequencer timers.

Chris