On 4/6/22 4:09 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
On 4/6/22 5:30 PM, mark_at_yahoo via Rosegarden-devel wrote:
But as I've written before, I'm an optimization freak

  It's one of my specialties as well.  So I'm really glad you are looking into all this.

Thanks for the encouragement, Ted. I took a quick glance at adding a set of referencing ViewElements to the Event class and while I was afraid that would require patching in lots of places it might actually be much simpler. Maybe just in the base ViewElement constructor, but even if not there's only NotationElement and MatrixElement that derive from it. I'll look further, and at other/alternate approaches.

Note that I never planned on doing this kind of deep surgery on the RG code. I came here to fix one bug and implement one feature, yet in doing so I keep falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

   That's exactly how I ended up here.

Now you're scaring me. ;) I've read your bio on the "authors" page. Coming up on 12 years now, right? So what you're saying is that Rosegarden is a gothic horror that lures unsuspecting coders into an infinite purgatory of improving a Frankenstein monster that will never be truly finished? ;)

And I obviously understand that there's a good chance anything I do (including the merge requests I've already submitted) will end up living forever only in my own repository fork.

  Yeah, sorry about that.  I will do my best to bring your changes in, but it is going to take some time.  There is a lot going on these days.

Not a problem. I just wanted to know that my code will eventually be reviewed for possible inclusion. If it wasn't going to be I could just go back to simpler hacking on my own. (When they're only going to affect me personally I'm much more nonchalant about potential bugs.)

When you do get around to it, lets coordinate and I can try to refactor the commits into some kind of logical linear progression of merges. I'll try to write with that in mind, but the one good thing is that I'll be running the build from the head of my "all changes combined" branch and hopefully will catch and fix the inevitable bugs there.