On 27 August 2012 16:04, Chris Cannam <can...@all-day-breakfast.com> wrote:
> I think XFCE is a fair option for people who were happy with the
> previous generation of desktops and are quite content to watch history
> pass them by.

Of course, this is a problem if those people are developers, since
they end up not testing their software in the environments that most
people actually use. Recent reports of problems with RG under Ubuntu
Unity, which no RG developer really knows how to respond to, are a
case in point.

For my part, these days, most of the software I write is (sadly) used
on other platforms more than on Linux -- this does at least mean I get
to develop on Linux as a sort of neutral platform that I can align
more to my own preferences and habits than to anyone else's. In fact,
I am probably as happy with it now as I ever have been.

I use Arch Linux, which has a rolling update schedule without any
numbered releases. It's worked well for me. They seem to be getting
more and more ambitious in the sorts of changes they include in
rolling updates, which is sometimes problematic -- this year there
have been three updates requiring significant manual input -- but it
has never yet actually broken anything for me, it always just refuses
to update until I go back and read the instructions. If you don't mind
reading instructions, and remember to do so, it's fine. It has the
benefit of clarity, it's generally easier to fix than Ubuntu (or other
operating systems) if it does break.

Chris