On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, "D. Michael McIntyre"
<michael.mcint...@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

> My computer had been up for almost 18 months before I
> decided to try
> upgrading it.  You'd think I would have learned that
> for every stable
> thing in Linux there are 50,000 hopeless train wrecks in
> between.
>
> I tire of this so-called progress.

I gave up on KDE and GNOME a couple of years ago, especially on a couple of
older laptops with not too much memory.  Now I use Fluxbox, with a few commands
in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file to startup some apps, since it doesn't save
session information.

Again, I keep a few 20 GB partitions just so I can install separate versions of
Linux on each, wiping out oldest partition for the latest distro release.  It
also help me recover configuration info from one of the other partitions during
the first few weeks as I install the apps I want.  Of course, I keep my data in
yet other logical partitions, separate from those bootable partitions.  The
arrangement saved me lots of time, headache, and heartache along the way.

I think most GUI applications are dumbing-down the users, keeping them ignorant
of how the system should work.  Various *buntu distros are also dumbing down
the user knowlege base, trying to cater to the dumb-users of Windows and Macs.

Perhaps I'll share my upgrade experience.  Since I'm using Debian Sid/Unstable,
the repository is almost always in state of constant change, and some apps may
have dependencies issue while the repository is changing.

Yeah, early on I have had a couple of problematic upgrades that left Xorg
broken so everything was in text console mode.  A day or two later, continue to
try upgrade did clear everything, and that computer was again working.

I have learned to do:

   apt-get update
   apt-get -d upgrade

the "-d" option tell it to only download, but won't actually apply the upgrade.
 If there are packages missing, or have broken prerequisites, I would not
continue, but keep try those to commands until all the packages get completely
downloaded.  Once that's done without problems, I would go ahead with

   apt-get upgrade

With all the needed packages and all prerequisite packages are already
downloaded, I only need to make sure the system partition has enough disk space
for the upgrade before answering "yes" to apply the upgrade.

I don't think I have much of a problem with Linux system upgrade since.  Of
course, different distros not using apt package manager may have similar
options, you may want to look up such options.

More often, I upgrade certain apps with

   apt-get -d install someapp

if there's no problems, then continue with

   apt-get install someapp

GUI apps and their convenience is one thing.  But they are not that smart, in
fact they dumb-down the user knowledge exposure of how and why things work
within the system.  The less they know, the more problems they will encounter.
Generally speaking, the GUI app developers make too much assumption, without
error checking, or disk space checking.

Good luck.

Jimmy