On 29 August 2012 14:48, Richard Bown <richard.b...@ferventsoftware.com> wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2012, at 15:36, John <wildber...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>> I have reached the point in life where I become immune to the accusation of
>> being to lazy to learn how to make programs to work.  I rather prefer to
>> spend my time to smell the roses.
>
> Well said, sir.

I'm not sure there is such a simple dichotomy, though. It has so much
to do with temperament and perspective.

For instance, I'm sure that (of historical Rosegarden developers) you
and Guillaume would agree that your lives have been more pleasant
since you stopped having to apply the principle that "it has to be
beaten into shape in order to work in Linux" and switched to other
platforms in which you get things done more readily. Revisiting other
operating systems in the light of your experience with Linux, you find
one of them more satisfying and switch -- contentedly, I assume.

On the other hand I've had similar experience of other platforms and
found that, in comparison, Linux is the one I most enjoy using, for
many largely subjective reasons. So the same experience has made me
more content as well, but in a different way.

As another example -- John wrote, likely accurately,

> A number of writer to this thread made reference to their recently discovered
> new distro [...] The next update will bring them back to reality.

But another way of looking at the ebb-and-flow is that, provided the
basics of the OS remain the things you always liked about it, you can
mostly just ignore the passing fads -- so long as you can stick with
the configuration you like and adapt away configurations you don't get
on with, the platform will always come back to you eventually.

I think the root of Michael's problem is that he feels stuck with this
one operating system -- whether for financial reasons or because of a
gloomy expectation that nothing else is going to work for him either.
So he hasn't had the opportunity either to decide to let it go, or to
relish the good things about it.

Chris