Thanks Ted. That was just the information I needed. Went off without a hitch.
I also tried leaving the jack.pc file untouched and passing the
correct path to the jack headers as an environmental variable. This
also worked.

Kicking myself for checking that all the libs were where pkgconfig
said they were, but not bothering to check in on the header files.

Below is a scriptlet I used to run configure for me. Maybe someone
else will find it useful in a similar situation.

#!/bin/sh
# Working ./configure invocation for rosegarden-14.12 on Ubuntu-14.10

# Tell compiler where to actually find jack headers
export JACK_CFLAGS="-I${includedir} -I${includedir}/jack"

# Tell configure where Ubuntu have hidden libQtGui.so
./configure \
        --with-qtlibdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu