Hi,

On 15/06/2016 21:14, Ted Felix wrote:
> On 06/15/2016 10:40 AM, Abrolag wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2016 20:39:59 -0400
>> Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com> wrote:
>>>     Try the latest with the bank and program checkboxes unchecked and let
>>> me know if this part is now fixed.  It should be.  If not, it should be
>>> easy to fix.
>> Decided to have a look at this and I can't find any such check boxes - prolly
>> means I'm looking in the wrong place.

[...]

>    This is the way every synth I have works.  What are you using, and
> how/why is it different?  I'd like to run some experiments to better
> understand what you are getting at here.

One use case I have is hooking Rosegarden to Yoshimi via JACK (and ALSA
midi), and loading states in Yoshimi. So Rosegarden sending bank/program
changes to yoshimi disrupts the state I loaded (fortunately yoshimi does
have an option to disable reacting to them). But I guess using (soft)
synth or gear which can independently (and maybe in non standard e.g.
non-General midi) manage 'states' etc. would be the strongest use case
to only have rosegarden strictly send controllers, program changes etc.
which are in segments.

My two cents.

>> so I wonder if a per device initialise checkbox should be
>> placed in Manage Midi Devices -> Midi Outputs.
>
>    Something like this would belong in the device file for a specific
> device.  I suspect that you aren't using device files tailored to your
> synth(s).  And this might be why things aren't working as they should.

That would make sense IMHO. Indeed in the above example I usually create
a blank device which I call 'Yoshimi' so that I don't have all the
default GM stuff.

>> As for the existing controls would it be practical to make them still
>> operate,
>> but actually embed the appropriate CCs in a running file? Or is that over the
>> top?
>
>    That's what the rulers are for, if I'm following what you are saying.
>   If you want us to record changes to the controller knobs in the
> Instrument Parameters panel or on the MIDI Mixer as they happen
> (automation), that's a pretty big feature request.  Doable, but will
> take some time.

I guess that could be a nice enhancement of the controller rulers? I
think they've really improved over the latest releases but there is
still some room for usability/editability improvement :)

My two cents.
Lorenzo.