It seems that BS/PCs are sent out on load (v17.12) and my M1 responds to
these correctly but for some reason the M3 doesn't receive them.

I haven't been able to confirm this using kmidimon because loading
a file resets the internal connections and disconnects kmidimon.

Is there a way to load a file without resetting connectiions?

composition makes no difference to the problem.

Chuck.