On 1/2/21 8:50 AM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 1/2/21 8:42 AM, Ted Felix wrote:
On 12/31/20 4:50 PM, steve conrad wrote:

than audio #1-8 as might be expected and as is the case in a new empty file.

   Yeah, that sounds wrong and should be easily improved.  Will get it on the todo.

Just as a data point, the same thing happens (and has always happened) when adding MIDI tracks. If you delete everything down to just one track, and add a track with the add track icon, it's a MIDI track by default, and if you add 10 of them in a row, they all default to instrument #1.

The behavior actually seems reasonable to me. I guess Rosegarden could analyze the entire composition every time you add a track, and try to assign it to some unique instrument combo, but how often would it do the right thing? Sometimes you just have to let users set things up how they want by hand.

What happens if... you start a new RG project with all the tracks, then import the MIDI track? You should have all the audio tracks properly numbered, yes?
My second irritant is that it is no longer possible to copy and paste between separate invocations of RG.

   Are you copying/pasting in the Segment Canvas (main window) or one of the editors (Matrix, Notation, etc...)?

To be clear, he's talking about separate invocations or instances of Rosegarden. One of the things that became possible after the huge rewrite and port to Qt4 was the ability to run Rosegarden more than once on the same computer. It's honestly more of a side effect of the new architecture (sequencer as a thread rather than a separate process) than something we specifically planned.

Start Rosegarden, then start Rosegarden again. You have Rosegarden <1> and Rosegarden <2>. Copy something in Rosegarden <1> and try to paste it in Rosegarden <2> and nothing happens.

I think I remember a time when this actually did work, but I'm not sure. I do remember experimenting with running two instances briefly, and I added up a list of issues. I think we basically just punted on all the issues, and decided not to support this formally. It's a thing you can do, but it isn't necessarily supposed to work reliably. Caveat usor.

I kind of thought copypaste track between projects had worked at one time. It's not a function I used much although it's absence seems counterintuitive. Most office apps have no problems with it.

You get into issues with ALSA and JACK, which Rosegarden is which, and other things I've forgotten. Keeping config files in sync, would be an issue. Change config in <1> and change it differently in <2>, which config should be written to disk?

The more I think about this kind of stuff, the more convinced I am that we all just kicked this can down the road, and didn't really do anything one way or the other. If the clipboard used to be shared, I don't know how, but it was probably working through some really nasty mechanism that shouldn't have worked, like pointers from one instance that should have been invalid in the other, but weren't, or something.

Anyway, I leave it up to you to figure out where you want Rosegarden to go in this area. I'm just trying to offer some historical perspective here.

--
David W. Jones
gn...@hawaii.rr.com