On 1/2/21 2:08 PM, david wrote:

What happens if... you start a new RG project with all the tracks, then import the MIDI track? You should have all the audio tracks properly numbered, yes?

In that scenario, the MIDI file completely replaces the existing composition, and yes, in most cases Rosegarden will construct a composition for it that has made some attempt to map the structure of the MIDI file onto the composition it creates.

What you're getting at seems more like a merge than an import.

I haven't used this in years. Note: the merge dialog is borked. "The file has a diffe" and then the text cuts off. Stuff like that is my wheelhouse, and I'll fix it this weekend. Note to self.

Anyway, no, in fact, when you merge a MIDI file into an existing composition, every new track is set to instrument #1, and you'd have to sort that out manually, the same as if you created the tracks by hand.

Whether it should work that way or not is a different matter. I'm just pointing out that's how it works now. The merge feature has always been fragile in any case.

I kind of thought copypaste track between projects had worked at one time. It's not a function I used much although it's absence seems counterintuitive. Most office apps have no problems with it.

Office apps don't have to interface with two totally different audio subsystems. I'm more interested in what other audio/MIDI apps do.

I'm not going to explore that right now, but it's an interesting question. I've got to go make a run to take a truckload of tampons to Target (actually, I have no idea what kind of paper goods are in the trailer, and they're going to Walmart, but it was a nice alliteration), and then I might have a play with this, and just see what does what.

--
D. Michael McIntyre