On 5/16/23 7:09 PM, krsg...@trixtar.org wrote:
# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 6.2.10-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr  6
10:36:55 UTC 2023 (ba7816e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is the first time I've seen PREEMPT_DYNAMIC. That is workable so long as preempt is enabled in grub. To check:

  $ grep -i preempt /etc/default/grub

You should either see nothing or "preempt=full" along with possibly other options.

# grep ^CONFIG_HZ /boot/config-`uname -r`
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
CONFIG_HZ=250

So does this mean that I do have a low-latency but not real-time kernel?

Low-latency (so long as it is configured properly via grub) and a low-resolution timer which can lead to timing problems for music. Overall, I would characterize this as a partially real-time kernel.

Might be worth digging around in OpenSUSE to see what other kernel packages there are. Looks like there may be no official kernel-rt package anymore, but maybe a community package?

  https://software.opensuse.org/package/kernel-rt

The issue raised is encountered in Suse-Leap.
Rosegarden ran fine before so I presume all the
configs WERE correct at one time, but usually
after a number of upgrades the segfaults begin,
there is no crash, just no takeoff even.

Ok. This is odd. Usually things become *more* stable over time. Or at least stay the same.

Thanks for the ref, the second half is way over
my head but I'll keep it for re-reading.

Yeah, it's pretty heavy stuff. And again, it oftentimes leads to the discovery that "not much can be done".

Ted.