Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:35:36 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> :

> On 23/10/2023 03:39, krsg...@trixtar.org wrote:
> >
> > I have qjackctl, qsynth and RG loaded. Some tracks are GM and
> > most are ZASF-dssi. Everything works but I cannot record with
> > jack_capture because it don't work. As an alternative the RG
> > recording feature comes to mind BUT it records only ONE (the
> > selected) track. How can I select ALL track to be recorded
> > just as if I were sueing jack_capture?
>
> If I understand correctly your set-up:
>
> 1. you are using jack (via qjackctl)
> 2. you are connecting via ALSA MIDI to qsynth
> 3. you are also using ZASF-dissi _inside_ rosegarden

Thanks for the detailed guide!

Yes, the above is the minimal roster. Sometimes I also include Hydrogen
and Yoshimi but I don't think that the use of THESE apps is a factor

> What is not working with recording via jack_capture?

Essentially, sometiomes and for reasons unknown, jack_capture either
starts capturing but the file ends before the first note ends OR
jack_capture just records an empty .wav file

The other day I had an additional app running (could have been Audacity)
and all I had to do was kill it for the next invocation of jack_capture
to work just fine.

> IIRC jack_capture without any options will connect (jack) to the system
> out ports and start recording straight away...
>
> If the scenario is the above what I would do is:
>
> 0. Make sure 'Use JACK transport' is selected in Rosegarden Preferences
>  > General > Behaviour - also make sure playback is stopped before the
> next step...
> 1. start jack_capture with the following flags:
>
> jack_capture -mc -jt
>
> -mc is manual connections, so you need to set them up (see next points)
> -jt is: wait for jack transport to start rolling before start recording
> and stop when jack transport stops (*)
>
> 2. connect Rosegarden audio out to jack_capture input
> 3. connect qsynth output to jack_capture
> 4. Start playing in rosegarden
>
> If all is good jack_capture should start recording both rosegarden
> (therefore your DSSI) and qsynth and stop when playback stops.

> (*) you might want to pick -jtm instead of -jt if your piece stops and
> you have audio 'tails' (e.g. reverb, delay..) continuing after the end
> of the piece or these would be cut off in the recording. In this case
> you'll need to stop jack_capture manually.
> Alternatively add a few end 'buffer' measures in rosegarden at the end
> of the piece. See also all jack_capture options via:
>
> jack_capture -help2

Using mostly Suse Leap or Tumbleweed I've been getting good results but
the cited failure has been a regular 'vistor' for unknown reasons.
At such times none of the above helps but most other times it works
with default settings without the above. Right now it works fine under
Tumbleweed but withg Tumbleweed I cannot get Audacity running:
(process:3873): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 18:13:52.599:
gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

It's been failing with Leap for several days.

The thing is that for a productive session I need all of the
following to work

qjackctl (jack)
jack_capture
qsynth
hydrogen
yoshimi
rosegaden
audacity
sonicvisualiser
kdenlive
simplescreenrecorder

but even though I use 7 different distros there are times when not one
of them allows this much.

This time a file WAS produced nbuty it is truncated to the start:

strace is way over ny head but here it is
https://paste.opensuse.org/pastes/7dbad6223d33

the wav file image:
http://www.trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/failed-jack_capture-wave.png