On 7/8/24 15:32, david wrote:
On 7/8/24 08:35, Martin VanWinkle wrote:
Greetings.

I'm on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, with rosegarden 1:21.12-1 installed.

I've configured qsynth to use alsa, and I've configured Rosegarden to not start JACK on startup.  This has allowed me to get audio from other applications (e.g. Chrome, Audacity) working at the same time as Rosegarden is (say) playing a metronome.

I'm trying to get Rosegarden to import an audio track, and it's saying that because JACK isn't running:

"Cannot add dropped file.  JACK audio server isn't available".

Also, File -> Manage Audio Files is grayed out.

I would like to be able to use other applications that play audio while I'm using Rosegarden.  But I haven't had any success getting that working with JACK.

Does anybody have suggestions for this?

Thanks

Hi, Marty!

I use Cadence to manage audio on my Debian Bookworm system. It set up a bridge - ALSA > PulseAudio > Jack - so everything audio goes through JACK. Much simpler and transparent, and Rosegarden (and all my other audio applications) works with audio just fine.

I got Cadence from the KX Studio applications: https://kx.studio/Applications:Cadence

You can get it from their Debian/Ubuntu repository: apt://cadence

It's also possible to set up the audio bridging manually, I just wasn't able to sort it out, but ther people on the list might have instructions or links on how to do that.

Hope that helps!

I think you can also do that kind of setup using qjackctl but I don't know how.

--
David W. Jones
gn...@hawaii.rr.com