Now I'm really stumped.  Can someone explain the business use-case for a
single 837 transaction set needing to have multiple "senders" and/or
multiple "receivers"?  I assume that Bob was not referring here to
secondary payors, but to real, honest-to-god, multiple addressees for a
single transaction set?

I understand that a single interchange envelope can have many claim
transactions in it, but I always though of that as "many 837s".  And I also
understand that a single interchange can even contain a "functional group"
of many 837s, a "functional group" of 271s, etc.

But if a single provider wants to send 2 PRIMARY claims, one to payor A and
the other to payor B, why wouldn't he sent 2 separate 837 transactions sets?

And if Doctor A has a claim for Payor X and Doctor B also has a claim for
Payor X, why wouldn't this also [always] be two separate 837 transactions?

Even if the IG allowed the combining either of the last two scenarios into
a single 837, I cannot imagine why anyone would ever want to do something
that difficult to route.  Cant' we strongly advise against such a practice
even if it is permitted in the standard?

-Chris

At 08:14 AM 1/25/02 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Also, note that loop 2000A occurs >1 times, allowing for the identification
>of multiple billing providers, or "submitters", in each 837.
>
>While most of X12 defined transactions as single business 'documents' (i.e.
>one invoice in a transaction), health care in its wisdom defined a
>transaction that contained MULTIPLE business documents. That is causing us
>problems now. It adds levels of complexity that do not exist in other parts
>of the EDI community.

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]