From: Marcallee Jackson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 1:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Whose name is it, anyway?

Rachel-

While it may not be important to the payer/receiver what path the claim
takes, it is often important to the provider who might like to have some
sort of record of where his claim was sent.    Particularly if claims
are being delayed by several days while they pass from trading partner
to trading partner.  Pull up a WebMD payer list and see if you can tell
which payers they send direct and which they send through trading
partners.  I think most providers would appreciate an easy way to follow
a claim's path.

Perhaps important to remember is that most clearinghouses will translate
every single claim that comes into their operation into an internal
format before translating it yet again into an outbound format  (which
may or may not be standard).  Since non-standard transactions =
violation, it might not be so bad to know who might have altered content
along the way.

One other thing, I once experienced a situation where clearinghouse
trading partners had a payer client switch clearinghouses from one to
the other. Clearinghouse A won the contract over Clearinghouse B.
Clearinghouse B updated their system and began to route the payer's
claims to Clearinghouse A.  Clearinghouse A, after testing and
processing a production file, never made the final switch to
automatically move the claims direct. Instead, their system sent claims
to Clearinghouse B who sent them to Clearinghouse A and so the claims
looped for almost a year until the auditors asked why there where no
billables being sent to the participating payer.   Now I've worked with
lots of clearinghouses and I know that the best you can do is find the
cleanest dirty shirt.  While there where lots of errors made to allow
this type of problem, these types of issues aren't that unusual. If
there had been an element tracking the entire path of this transaction,
it might have been caught much earlier.

I love a good debate!

Marcallee