To my knowledge, the operative for the trading partner decisions is not the
IGs.  It is the Privacy Rule and the security NPRM (and expected security
rule).

These have caused our lawyers to decide that we need agreements with our
direct trading partners - the clearinghouses, billing services and direct
submit providers, as well as with the ultimate business partners - the
providers.

I agree with other comments that it might be better if providers and payers
were communicating directly.  That is my ultimate vision with the Internet,
encryption, NPI and National PayerID - as long as we can find that illusive
database for the information (general and encrytpion keys).

Until then, we have to find our path through this muck.

So for now, I see the sender as the entity that creates the ISA, and the
receiver as the one that opens the ISA.

I suggest that we include in the discussions all of the functions that the
sender and receiver IDs in the ISA can fulfill, or enhance.  We should at
least identify those functions and state their inclusion or exclusion from
the conclusions of the final document. (too many 'clusion's there - sorry)

Bob

                    "Rachel

                    Foerster"            To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       cc:

                    tcom.com>            Subject:     RE: Time-out for terminology
question(s)

                    01/25/2002

                    03:55 PM

                    Please respond

                    to rachelf

Bob,

I think you've made some very interesting observations vis a vis an
agreement between provider and payer. But, I would suspect that if your
legal counsel requires that an agreement be in place between a payer and
its
providers before they do business, couldn't this be construed as a network
provider agreement that are typically employed today? I would suspect that
payers do not do business with all "comers" without first agreeing to the
rules of engagement.

If in fact, the industry does coalesce around establishing such an
agreement
between each provider and the payers to whom they submit claims, this could
in fact help solve of the addressing issues in the ISA, since in that case,
the provider would then be the originator of the business transaction,
regardless of the format at the point of origination. Clearinghouses would
then clearly become intermediaries in the actual exchange of business
transactions between the provider and the payer.  This whole issue of
trading partner agreements is also fraught with ambiguity, inconsistency,
and uncertainty, and the HIPAA IG's don't really serve to clear any of that
up. But, if in fact, your opinion that HIPAA will end up forcing agreements
between each provider and its payers, then the questions about who should
be
identified on the ISA becomes moot.

A separate agreement relative to the 835 makes sense for a lot of reasons,
not the lease of which is that in many cases, the provider may wish to
receive payment electronically, in which case the financial institution
gets
involved. As you no doubt know, in the early 1990's the Science and
Technology Division of the American Bar Association developed two model EDI
trading partner agreements: one addressing EDI transaction exchanges in
general and the other specific to electronic payments. These two model
agreements contained extensive commentary useful to an organization's legal
counsel. I would certainly recommend that these two model agreements be
examined as a potential starting point.

On the other hand, I do wish to point out that when the federal government,
most notably the Department of Defense, went full bore into EDI in the
early
to mid 1990's they initially required that each supplier to the government
execute an EDI trading partner agreement. This was a huge failure and in
fact, became a major barrier for getting the hundreds of thousands of
suppliers willing to engage in EDI with the feds. Within 6 months the feds
abandoned the requirement for an EDI trading partner agreement. Other
industries also recognized the barrier an EDI trading partner agreement
became when trying to establish EDI information exchanges. So, I would just
urge health care to not rush into a business model that clearly didn't work
for other industries, including our beloved federal government, without
fully examining and understanding the impact and issues that will
result....this is a prime example of beware of unintended results!

Rachel Foerster
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.