William,

You bring up a GREAT point.  Nobody likes sharing their customer list,
although clearinghouses, in order to get provider customers need to at
least share their payer connectivity list.

But the DNS has a clear advantage here.  Let me explain a few more
technical details.  Time to get a drink to wash the popcorn.

Normally, since the DNS servers are a very critical resource, each
domain has at least two DNS servers, one considered "primary" and the
other "secondary".  Most DNS queries go to the primary server, but if
the primary server does not answer in a reasonable time (2-5 seconds)
then the query is sent to the secondary, assuming the primary may be
down.  Important domains, or domains that have a "critical" nature will
have one primary and several secondary DNS servers.

When you configure a DNS server you can leave it open to "zone
transfers" or limit the "zone transfers" to only certain other DNS
servers, typically only your secondary DNS servers.

A "zone transfer" occurs when you connect to a DNS server and ask it to
give you a complete copy of all its DNS information.  This gives you an
exact image of everything the server knows about a domain, including the
names and IP addresses of all the hosts in that domain.  This service is
necessary for the information to cascade down from the primary DNS
server to the secondaries.

But if the "zone transfer" mechanism is open to the world, anybody can
connect to your DNS server and take a look at the name and IP address of
every one of your hosts, and this opens the door to a subsequent attack
to each of those machines.  So, in order to provide a little better
security, the "zone transfers" are normally only allowed from the
primary to the secondary DNS.

However, even with restricted "zone transfers", anybody can connect to
the DNS server and ask for the existence of a specific host, as long as
they know the exact host name to begin with.  The DNS server responds
with the IP address or the MX record or other information requested.

It is like the difference between having a phone book and calling
directory assistance.  The "zone transfer" gives you the whole telephone
book, and the normal DNS operation gives you one number at a time.

The bottom line is that going to a DNS type of operation would give the
clearinghouses much better control of their connectivity information
because it would not reveal the entire list to everybody.  This is a
better security mechanism than what we have today.

By now you know a lot more about DNS than you ever wanted to know.  I
hope it ends up being useful in finding a solution to our problem.

Kepa