Kepa Zubeldia proposed a DNS structure for resolving EDI addresses:

   For example, ACME insurance could have a HIPAA address of
   ACME.HIPAA.NET  and under that DNS server have other domains
   such as 837.ACME.HIPAA.NET, 270.ACME.HIPAA.NET, and
   276.ACME.HIPAA.NET. Then, under the 837.ACME.HIPAA.NET DNS
   server there could be several MX records listing:

   ACME.PAYERS.WEBMD.HIPAA.NET (20) and
   NDC.HIPAA.NET (20) and
   ACME.CLEARINGHOUSE-A.HIPAA.NET (75) and
   2125551212.PHONE.HIPAA.NET (300) which would say that they
   can receive transactions directly over the telephone at
   2125551212, or though three different clearinghouses.  The
   best path is through either WEBMD or NDC, the next choice
   would be through clearinghouse "A" and the last choice would
   be sending direct transactions to ACME.  I have put the
   "preference" factors in parenthesis for readability, but you
   get the picture.

   In fact, this could be used to represent more information
   in the MX records, such as an "IP port" or a "protocol" or
   even, stretching it a bit, something like
   xmodem.8005551212.phone.hipaa.net as a direct connection if
   we assign the "phone.hipaa.net" to be a magic token.

I think I understand how this is supposed to work, but I want to make a
couple suggestions.  Assuming the system is used to take EDI identifiers
and resolve addresses out of them, then the identifier itself should be
used in the search hierarchy.  Guessing that Acme Insurance is named
simply "ACME" rather than "ACMEINS" is a job in itself.  But if you
start with Acme's NAIC code 52345 (as you would if all you were looking
at was the ISA), it would be pretty tough to come up with "ACME" *or*
"ACMEINS."  How about the top level structure taking the form of
something like 52345.NAIC.HIPAA.NET, instead?

Next, I would dispense with using DNS sub-domains from then on:  can't
the 52345.NAIC.HIPAA.NET record itself just point - with a URL - to an
XML document which has all information for Acme?  That XML document -
describing channels, preferences, certificates and anything else - could
be resident anywhere: either at ACME Insurance or its Clearinghouse.  An
XML document would be, well, more eXtensible, and allow non-network
people to maintain it.  And besides, it seems DNS is not all it's
cracked up to be, what with "disappearing" web sites waiting for DNS
entries to propagate themselves through the network!  At least the URL
that  52345.NAIC.HIPAA.NET "points" to would be more stable.

I suggest that the detailed document for Acme be in XML simply because
that's sexy.  And besides, Dick Brooks may figure a way we can hijack
the ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profile (CPP) specification for doing
everything we need in describing transport channels, protocols,
certificates, or business processes (837 vs. 270).

None of this should be construed to mean that I like any better the idea
of the provider, or his agent, having to figure out a different
transport channel based on the *type* of transaction.  As I've said
before, it would be better if all the provider's transactions could be
placed through a single conduit matching the needs of the provider, and
the payer (or its agent) would requeue them based on its needs.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320