Ronald Bowron wrote "...based on the definition of the routing
objectives, the ability to communicate based on the ST/SE transaction
type was defined as out of scope, and that routing should be limited to
the ISA/IEA and possibly the GS/GE."

Using the transaction set as one component to determine the destination
of an interchange was never defined out of scope.  But *requiring*
anything other than what's available in the ISA to determine routing
would place a burden on providers new to the standard transactions - or
their agents (VANs).  Altruistically, my concern is motivated solely by
the needs and capabilities of the "little" people (providers).

Generally, anyone producing standard transactions is aware not only of
the ISA sender or receiver fields, but also stuff in the GS and the ST -
theoretically they could make decisions for routing, selecting the
appropriate node in Kepa's DNS scheme.  But it might be asking too much
of their off-the-shelf  practice management software to traverse Kepa's
DNS tree (or even to use a CPP type of arrangement).  Instead, they (the
providers) should be able to dump all their interchanges into one
conduit and be assured their "stuff" will get there safely, securely and
reliably based solely on receiver ID.

If that conduit were a VAN, wouldn't it be too much to expect the VAN to
burrow within each and every interchange, group and transaction set to
determine routing?  It's not impossible, certainly.  But, again, why
should the sender (or her agent) have to concern herself with each of
the variables present in the ISA, GS and ST (and possibly more, if you
consider real-time requests which are evident only by looking within the
transaction set) and figure it out on her own where to send the
interchange?  Isn't the ISA receiver ID enough?  She has already
specified the recipient's NAIC, Plan ID, or whatever, in the ISA.  Once
it gets to the payer, I think it should be incumbent on him to figure
out how to internally route the interchange (or functional groups
within).

This situation isn't directly analogous to Kepa's example of different
addresses for snail mail - Kaysville for inquiries and payments to
Montclair - as Kaysville and Monclair are probably separated by really
big mountains or deserts in the real world (I'm not that good at
geography, but I know things like that got in the way of the
California-bound settlers).   But in the virtual Internet world, they
are separated by a few micro-seconds.  The receiver knows best where to
route his incoming stuff.... so let him do it.  Delegating the
"mailroom" function to the sender (usually the provider) is an
impediment to frictionless e-commerce and an extra cost providers can do
without.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320