I asked Chris Feahr Saturday: "So, who else's ID - other than the
payer's - would be in the ISA receiver field?" when "standard
transactions go from provider to payer, unmolested..."

The exchange below, on HIPAAlive, from Ken Fody, answers the question.
A self-funded employer group health would be administered by a third
party (TPA) - claims and whatnot obviously would not be sent from the
provider to the payer (the employer), but to the TPA.  Not only would
the payer in this case not want to have the stuff sent to it (after all,
it outsourced the grunt work to the TPA), but it probably isn't even
allowed to see the stuff since it isn't a HIPAA covered entity.

When National Plan IDs materialize, then the plan could be identified
within the transaction set.  But that plan ID could not be used in the
ISA, since there's no provision for qualifying the plan ID using the
allowable codes in the Interchange ID Qualifier.  If the ISA were able
to address a plan ID, then routing of the interchange might be
accomplished automatically looking only at the ISA - using Kepa's DNS
directory, 987654321.PlanID.hipaa.net would ultimately point you to the
TPA (or the clearinghouse it uses).  But in the meantime, I guess the
provider could place the ID (DUNS?) of the TPA in the ISA receiver
field.   Are TPAs generally carriers themselves? - in that case their
NAICs would be available.

All this points out, I believe, that we need a list of all "information
flows," starting with the simplest and progressing to the complicated
with TPAs and intermediaries. We could use Dave Minch's "nomenclature"
or formulae, e.g.,

   Claim: provider ---> prov's CH ---> payer's CH ---> payer
   Remittance: payer ---> prov's CH ---> provider

When Chris volunteered to serve as keeper of the definitions, he added:
"please feel free (whole group) to throw any terms and definitions in my
direction as they occur to you." Now another has come up: do we need to
add sponsor to the glossary, in order to distinguish an employer who's a
payer from the employer paying insurance premiums to a Health Plan?

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320