From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 12:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Requirements Gathering - Information Flows

Chris --

I would suggest approval for additional or supplemental glossaries be
obtained before we expend a lot of effort to build and reference or use one
in conjunction with a Routing white paper.  I know the Exec and/or the
Steering Committee addressed this issue before and we decided (among other
things) that:
1.  A common white paper format should be adopted to facilitate a more
consistent presentation of the white papers.  To that end, we may need to
adjust the initial format Peter has proposed -- but hopefully not much.  To
be honest, Peter may have a better format than we have used for the other
white papers, but unless we are ready to rewrite all the others, we'll need
to use the existing format.
2.  We would use a common glossary to avoid redundancy and/or to avoid
different definitions of the same terms.  Even if the terms we would
include in a Routing glossary don't exist in the WEDI glossary -- they
could and probably will, as existing white papers are enhanced or
additional white papers are developed.  To complicate the issue further, I
would assume the Routing white paper would use some terms that already
exist in the WEDI glossary -- and if so are you proposing we "re-define"
them in a Routing glossary or reference them in the WEDI glossary?  Neither
option is really desirable if we try to have a WEDI glossary and a Routing
glossary.

I am sure Zon would be amenable to virtually any suggestion that improves
the quality or expands the use of the existing glossary and would suggest
we move in that direction -- unless there is a compelling reason to do
otherwise.  If there is a compelling reason, I can and will support it --
but I don't know what it is.

What do other folks on this listserv think?

Thanks -- Bruce

                    "Christopher
                    J. Feahr, OD"        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    <chris@optise        cc:     "WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing"
                    rv.com>              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                         Subject:     RE: Requirements
Gathering -
                    02/12/2002           Information Flows
                    08:50 PM

great suggestion, Bruce.  I did review the WEDI-SNIP glossary (just now)
and I was not really thinking of any of those type terms for the "glossary"

relating to this project.  If I understood Rachel's mission here, it was
more a desire to nail down consistent semantics within the context of
"addressing and routing" discussion... so that we can use the terms (like
submitter, interchange sender, etc.) in our paper with a list of explicit
definitions in the same paper.  I assume that we have enough networking
industry awareness/experience that someone will point out definitions that
are likely to be counterintuitive for our target audience.  Here's the
working list of terms I have so far:

EDI Address (names of sub-components?)
Interchange Sender
Interchange Receiver
Interchange Route
Transaction Sender
Transaction Receiver
Transport Agent (I forgot what I was thinking about here.. did someone use
this term in an email??)
Transport Protocol
Authentication Protocol
Dial-up Modem Settings (is there a better term for this?  ..."baud",
parity, flow control)

Thanks,
-Chris

Christopher J. Feahr, OD