From: Hooser, Larry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 1:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Web authentication for HIPAA

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  Pretty much the same principles I have.

Further comment:

We have possibly 25,000-40,000 providers needing access with an average of
4-6 ids each;  that's 200,000+ users right off the bat.  Requiring tokens,
readers, cards, etc. in that fluid (staff coming and going, moving, etc.)
environment would be costly, cumbersome, overhead intensive (as any "client"
solution is), and very challenging - in my view;  and I don't believe the
software-only certificates add much or any value beyond strong, enforced
passwords.