It looks like we have a "second," from Chris Feahr, to broaden the
Project Purpose - so it more clearly indicates we're to build a
specification for automatically "discovering" Electronic Trading Partner
Agreements (e-TPA) which can be used to mechanically configure
communication and translation software.  So moved.

Now that this change is out of the way, it only seems appropriate that
we put forward some additional changes to the 6010 ID & EDI Address
Project Org Document to make the new Project Purpose "happen." For the
existing document, see http://www.novannet.com/wedi/.

Perhaps the Organization of the Project (Section 4.) needs to be changed
around a bit to be more project focused, revolving around the production
of "working papers" - right now we have the amorphous "Identifiers" and
"EDI Address" Subgroups. Since no ideas on particular "Working Papers"
have yet been proposed, I thought I might throw out a couple of my own
suggestions which will give us something concrete to start on.  These
suggested "Working Paper" topics were garnered from the questions I
asked in "Just what is it we're supposed to be doing?," on 26 February,
2002:

(1) Interchange Identification and Routing Interoperability: How do you
identify the sender and receiver of a standard transaction on the ISA?
How can the ISA be addressed in a consistent way so interchanges can be
delivered via intermediaries like VANs or CHs, or point-to-point?

(2) Trading Partner Identification: Who are the trading partner entities
involved in exchanging standard transactions? and what kind of
identifiers are available for describing these entities?

(3) EDI Addresses and Delivery Channels: How do we specify the
destination technical address and its attributes? Now do you specify
type of security - e.g., login and password? How would you accommodate
scripting? How do you describe the multi-hop path traversed between
trading partners through intermediaries and business associates? How do
you describe the different "in-boxes" used depending on transaction
type? What do you have to know about a trading partner's technical
capabilities before you can send them a standard transaction? What
information does a Trading Partner Agreement contain to answer any of
these questions? What sort of communication protocols are in use today
that need to be supported? and what sort of packaging techniques are
used?

(4) Electronic Trading Partner Agreements: Can a Trading Partner
Agreement be made into a machine-processable form? Can we use the ebXML
CPP? If not as it stands, then what changes would be needed to the CPP?
Should we consider our own XML version of an e-TPA?  How would EDI
Addresses and Delivery Channels be represented in the e-TPA?  Can an
e-TPA completely supplant the need for paper TPAs?

(5) e-TPA Discovery: How might electronic TPAs be automatically
"discovered" for your trading partners?  If we need a directory for
"discovery" of Trading Partners, will UDDI or the ebXML RegRep suffice?
If not, can we devise our own?  Who would maintain it?

(6) Application Identifiers: What's the relationship between the payer,
plan and contract application identifiers and the identifiers used in
the ISA?

We need volunteers for the Working Papers. As Ben Stein would have said
in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" - "anyone... anyone...?"  And please
remember: we have a teleconference scheduled for Friday March 8, from
1:30 - 2:30 EST, 703-736-7290, pin #1315331.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320