I really appreciate Dave's and Marcallee's efforts in this area.  I have
no interest in seeing this discussion tabled.  In the beginning, I would
have agreed that TPAs are "out of scope."  But since then, Marcallee has
certainly convinced me that if the TPA "problem" cannot be gotten out of
the way, then automated trading partner "discovery" has less value.  As
far as I know, we are the only WEDI/SNIP group worried about this
issue - the impediment of paper TPAs - at the moment.

If in their wisdom, the Business Issues SWG management finds it prudent
to create a new group concerned with ways to lubricate healthcare
e-commerce by eliminating or ameliorating the delays in trading imposed
by paper TPAs, we in the WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing SIG will defer to that
decision.  In the meantime, I'm only too happy to see Dave and Marcallee
succeed in developing a Clearinghouse Power of Attorney or the "WEDI
Accord on TPAs" - if only to prove my good friend, Kepa Zubeldia, wrong
for once in his life!

At Chris Feahr's prompting, a new project objective was set forth for
the group to evaluate; I proposed a change to the Project Purpose on 02
March:

   This project will publish implementation guidelines for (1) an
   Electronic Trading Partner Agreement (e-TPA) specification to
   mechanically configure communication and translation
   software, and (2) automatic "discovery" mechanisms for locating
   Trading Partners' e-TPAs on the Internet based on their
   business identifiers.

It seems this change would be relatively uncontroversial, in that it
simply follows the gist of many of our discussions. It broadens the
scope by allowing us to investigate ways not only of describing EDI
addresses and attributes, but also mechanical representations of
companion documents, in the formation of electronic Trading Partner
Agreements.  A "directory" for "discovering" EDI addresses (or going a
step further: e-TPAs) has always been implicit in the 6320 document, so
it's only proper to explicitly include this requirement in the Project
Purpose.

This change, and the working documents I proposed we start on, can be
discussed tomorrow,  Friday March 8, on the WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing
teleconference call from 1:30 - 2:30 EST, 703-736-7290, pin #1315331.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320