William:

I will be surprised if this is a significant problem.  That being said, I do
not support your suggestion that this problem be laid at the doorstep of
payers.

I suspect it is true of most payers that they maintain eligibility on a
different platform than claims.  In fact, the data is probably on multiple
platforms -- one for enrollment style information, another for benefit plan
related information, yet another for information about deductible and
co-insurance accumulators.

That fact notwithstanding, given how much trouble it is to get one
translator set up I can't see plans setting up a separate entry point for
each transaction.

What may occur is that Payors may prefer that transactions from a
professional provider (e.g. doctors) go in through a different gateway that
transactions from facility providers.  This is likely to be true when doing
business with a Blue Cross Blue Shield Plan and the member has non-HMO
coverage.  The reason is historical -- the BCBS Plan probably still is set
up with a system for facilities and a system for professionals.  However,
even there, if you are doing business with a combined Blue Plan and they
have been combined for some time, they may have unified their enrollment and
eligibility systems.

This may also happen with any carrier (Blue or non-Blue) that outsources
some processing services.  This could occur if the carrier outsources
processing of transactions from professional providers.  More likely, it
could happen if the carrier outsources processing from specialty providers.
For example, how many carriers interact directly with pharmacists, as
opposed to hiring a PBM to do it?  The same is true of behavioral health
providers.  Many carriers outsource that interaction to another company.

Remember that self-funded groups are a wild card.  In those cases, it may be
the group, not the carrier/TPA that chooses which claims go where.  The
members may be carrying an ID card that has a logo from a particular
carrier/TPA, but the provider may be surprised if they try to send a
transaction to that carrier/TPA.  That situation is outside the control of
the carrier/TPA.

It is a good point to document.  It is a question that providers and
clearinghouses basically need to ask and payers need to try to anticipate
and answer.  The responsibility cuts both ways -- it can't be laid just at
the doorstep of payers.

In closing, I offer the following comment as a practical caution.  Given the
number of claims I have seen providers mess up -- sending them to the wrong
address, the wrong carrier, empty envelopes, holding them for months before
sending them, etc. and then they go crying to the regulators and legislators
and say that the only reason their accounts receivables stink is because of
big bad carriers -- I can tell you that if someone suggests that providers
don't have to take any responsibility for figuring out where to send things
that person will find carriers very unsympathetic.

Hope that helps.

Ken Fody
Independence Blue Cross