Thanks again for the insight, Ed... and I think we are gathering that
information in a survey about how CHs and others are handling this
now.  There seems to be no disagreement that we need a "directory" or
"registry" of addressing/routing info, but I believe the prevailing "real
world" belief is that it will not be centralized... at least, for a few
years.  I think we envision some sort of distributed model, but it's not
clear (to me, anyway) how we would keep all the distributed piles of this
information RELIABLY synchronized and up-to-date.  That's what made me
think about standardizing routing table structures and the table
query/update EDI transactions, including some reliability index (possibly,
just the # of days since the last refresh of the data).

Even if other fields in that table (or a separate table) held the
proprietary "family jewels" client information, VANs and CHs could agree to
continuously maintain the "public" address/routing info cooperatively and
offer free access to it (one address per query) for all healthcare EDI
players, including providers, who may only need to maintain a local table
of the 20 or 30 entities THEY need to connect to.  For the added fee, the
VAN could actively *manage* the whole message-stream for the provider.  But
as a free, public service, it could choose to open up the "public" parts of
its address table... if that's all the provider thought he needed.  The
provider's system could be programmed with "primary" "secondary",
and  maybe "tertiary" address-service-provider addresses.  Then each time
the provider wanted to update his own address tables, he could query his
favorite 3 VANs and accept the answers with the most recent refresh-dates
into his own routing table... unless his table already had one with an even
more recent refresh-date.

How does this idea sound to the VANs and CHs who are listening?  (kinda
like all the gas stations near interstate highways volunteering to be
America's free rest room... anticipating that the increased candy and soda
sales will more than offset the added bathroom maintenance costs!)

Thanks,
Chris