William (and group)
I certainly do not want our group to "exclude" anyone's business needs.  I
agree with other commentors that CHs and VANS will not only be major
players for the foreseeable future, but given the nearly non-existent EDI
capability of small providers, our CHs and VANs would seem to represent the
only way we will even get HIPAA airborne.

NEVERTHELESS... HIPAA is a regulation primarily about providers exchanging
information with payors.  HIPAA addresses the middleman facilitators
because they are THERE.  Few doctors and insurance companies, however,
really want to be in the "EDI business"... most payors and providers appear
to want to offload this headache to an AGENT and/or Special
Software.   Until CPA negotiation and EDI become  trivial/transparent, we
are going to need a robust layer of "EDI facilitator" businesses to make it
all work.

Twenty years from now, we will still see massive doctor disinterest in how
this "EDI crap" works!  Once solid standards are implemented, it's
reasonable to expect the big, sophisticated communicators (payors... with
actual IT departments) to begin managing their own EDI.  Doctors, however,
will (we hope) still be primarily interested in medicine... and will always
need massive support for B-B communication. The way I see it... far from
being on the verge of extinction, the "middleman" industry is likely to
swell up over the next decade and SWALLOW up the IT needs of every little
player in health care... even providers' "internal" IT needs.

This discussion has shown that many communication and addressing models are
in actual use today and some of them seem to conflict with "common sense"
when applied to a theoretical "point to point" direct-communication
model... something that needs to be defined, but is generally individual
providers conversing with individual health plans.  I think we all can
agree that the "CH" or "VAN" industry will be seriously MUTATED over the
next 2 or 3 years, and that dozens of variants of the "middleman" business
model are likely to emerge in healthcare... mainly around
newly-acknowledged PROVIDER needs.  So my suggestion to focus our
committee's recommendations and proposals on the "point to point" model was
intended to give us a clear, common target to fire our recommendations
at.  I agree that these recommendations should and likely will be useful to
CHs and VANs in the near term... ditto for anything resembling a central
player-ID and address registry.

Once we have agreed on the definition of the COMMUNICATION MODEL that we
want our recommendations to support, I believe we will get past this
bottleneck and be able to get to work on the papers.  Please be patient
with this "rambling" discussion.  We seem to be close to consensus, but you
cannot make something this big "simple"... no matter how much we all wish
that it were.  I'm actually impressed with this group's patience and
willingness to tolerate this useful [if protracted] dialog.

Thanks,
-Chris