From: "Dave Minch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, 12 April, 2002 04:20 PM
Subject: When is a CH a payer, or provider, for that matter?

If, as Rachel has suggested, many of the payers are actually going to
contract with CHs as their "front door" for EDI (whether the CHs are
subsidiaries or otherwise), then that CH's identifier could, in fact, be
the identifier that the payer tells us (via the CPP or other manual
method) to place on the claim (in the ISA). It would be assumed, in that
situation, that the CH is acting on behalf of (is the agent for) the
payer, and therefor represents "the financially responsible party" in
its dealings with the provider.

In that case, the CH would have specific arrangements with the payer (a
TPA), that could, in fact, specify conversion to a proprietary format
(such as NSF) for transfer of the claim to the payer. As long as the
claim is transferred from provider to the CH as an 837, the law is
satisfied (as I read it), because the CH would be operating as the
payer's agent.

This is also true in reverse for the providers. Some billing software
will be used by smaller providers to enter claims data, and will then
transfer that data to a central location in a proprietary format (say, a
"flat print image file"). The central location is the billing software's
"hub" - just another CH in our view, but one with a special relation to
the provider - it is the provider's "billing agent"). Again, the law is
satisfied because the CH is the agent of the provider, and it
communicates to payers via the mandated transaction set. One of the
largest provider software suppliers in the country is planning on doing
just that as their "answer" to making the software HIPAA compliant - and
they are licking their chops at the millions of $$ to be made sending
all those claims on behalf of the provider in that really difficult
electronic format (and for only $.25 per claim - what a deal...).

Have I misinterpreted the regulations? Anyone want to bet that these
won't be the most common scenarios initially?

Dave Minch
T&CS Project Manager
John Muir / Mt. Diablo Health System
Walnut Creek, CA