From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 1:07 PM
To: WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing
Subject: Supporting Certification in the Healthcare CPP

Come to think of it, I'm actually gratified by all this buzz over IBM's
patent (which possibly affects parts of ebXML's Collaboration Protocol
Agreement).  It means that it's now taken for granted by folks on this
list that the WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing effort really will be based on
ebXML technology and specifications, viz. the Registry and
CPP -otherwise, no one would have been thrown into a tizzy over the
issue!

Continuing on: I've heard some grumbling that I'm herding this group off
"on some quest for the ultimate, elegant solution, which is impossibly
complex, beyond the comprehension of most people, not implementable in
the foreseeable future, and also cures cancer."  I like that.  Since
apparently I'm on a roll, I want to add even more complexity and
gold-plating into the mix:

There's been some discussion on the WEDI/SNIP Business Issues listserve,
initiated by Kepa Zubeldia, talking about directories where you can look
up to see if your partner is certified for certain transactions and
scenarios, inter alia.  See http://www.claredi.com/ and select
"directory."

This just serves to remind me that we need to discuss supporting HIPAA
transaction certification in the Healthcare CPP.  I definitely think
certification can be of real value, but I guess I just want to ensure
that certification is not used as an excuse by payers to put even more
hurdles in the way of providers, causing unnecessary manual intervention
or creating onerous enrollment requirements.  If certification
credentialization can be automated - i.e., the third-party certification
service could digitally "sign" the credentials in the party's CPP
(electronic trading partner profile), which could be examined
automatically -  then I might be a lot less concerned. Remember:
eliminating all friction points which have to handled manually - with
pairwise negotiation - is one of our biggest problems to solve!

I would like to ask the folks writing the working paper describing the
Elements of a Healthcare Collaboration-Protocol Profile (CPP) - Marcelee
Jackson (who may not even know she was "volunteered" to work on this
since she was absent from the Friday, 08 March teleconference), Dave
Minch, Dick Brooks and Chris Feahr - to add certification credential
verification to their list of requirements.

I'm of the (perhaps minority) opinion that payers can't mandate
certification of providers: if a standard claim comes into a payer, I
can't help but think Administrative Simplification requires the payer to
take it into adjudication.  Testing is obviously important (for anyone
with sense) - and I can see where not only does a payer want to ensure
all his systems are "go," but would like to be "certified" to cover his
"behind" in case a provider claims they tried to send standard
transactions which were rejected out-of-hand by him.

I don't expect providers have the same fear instilled - the worst that
will happen to them is to have non-compliant standard transactions
rejected, which they can then fix up and re-submit.   It's not, like,
y'know, a payer is going to stand up and complain to the government that
this wretched little provider is screwing up in every way asking for his
money! Nobody says the health plan has to "debug" the provider's
non-compliant transactions:  all the 997 has to do is report the first
X12 syntax error encountered and reject the entire transaction set, or
all the 824 (when we get one) has to do is report the first problem
inconsistent with HIPAA, and refuse the transaction. There should be no
back and forth "debugging" (on the phone), as long as the 997 and 824
are used correctly.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320