Great comments... thanks!  Here are a couple thoughts/responses.

1. Adding more fields to describe the "response timing" that a sender could
expect sounds helpful.  I was envisioning a separate "CONNECTION" record
for each supported TransactionName/TransactionVersion combination.  This
would enable the receiver to state "response timing" differently for each
transaction, if desired.  Could SessionTimeOut be used to represent your
concept of "RealTimeTimeout/give up" time?  I'm not entirely sure how
someone would use "SessionTimeOut" programatically... I just copied the
field from the X12 "trading partner profile" summary that Dave Minch compiled.

2. I'm a little fuzzy on the security/encryption/authentication
requirements... so I was hoping someone would suggest adding, combining, or
eliminating fields as appropriate.  Certainly, if a public encryption key
was needed for a transaction, I'd want to find it (or its location) in the
CPP somewhere.  To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what the data in
CONNECTION fields #19, 20, and 21 would look like.  If another field is
required to actually hold an encryption "key", that's fine... but don't
most PEK systems already utilize some sort of "public key registry/server",
meaning that our CPP might only require the address of the
key-server?  (I'm fairly ignorant about "security"... so hopefully, the
experts will jump in!)

3. Regarding the transaction-specific testing and certification data that I
stuck in the RECEIVER table, I was hoping to get some input from the group
on this.  Maybe a whole separate table will be needed for HIPAA readiness,
certification, anticipated "go-live dates", etc.  The reason that I did not
suggest putting this down in the CONNECTION table was that each CONNECTION
record represents a scenario for something that WORKS NOW.  Whereas, the
HIPAA readiness information is more about how things will work in the
future, how "certified-compliant" they are, etc.  In fact, this info might
often be a way of justifying or explaining why a particular combination of
PlanID-TransactionName is NOT found as a CONNECTION record for a particular
RECEIVER.

4. My thinking on the split between the info in the RECEIVER table and that
in the CONNECTION table was that the former would relate to the receiver
business as an enterprise or a major division of an enterprise.  Perhaps
the other table should be called "TRANSACTION" instead of "CONNECTION".  It
seems conceivable, however, that a RECEIVER enterprise might want to
organize his "EDI connection capabilities" around several different
concepts.  The most important seem to be:
1. the particular transaction supported
2. the type of physical connection supported, and
3. the PlanID

As long as the information I have stuck into "CONNECTION" can be indexed
and searched on any of these 3 attributes, then it probably doesn't matter
what we name the table.  The prospective sender will be coming into this
registry, knowing the identity of the RECEIVER.  If desired, he should be
able to pull up all the CONNECTION records for that RECEIVER... or just the
subset that are common to the PlanID he's interested in, the type(s) of
physical connections he supports, and/or the type/version of the
transaction that he intends to send.  If a payor, for example, was able to
accept "batch" eligibility requests through one "door" and real-time elig.
requests through a different one, he would need two CONNECTION records for
that transaction:  one CONNECTION record in which TransactionName was "270"
and NormalResponseTime was small number and another record with
TransactionName = 270, but a larger value for NormalResponseTime.

Thanks again for all the comments.  I will be glad to accept/keep track of
these comments/issues about the "CPP elements"and to summarize them for the
time being on a second "sheet" inside the main spreadsheet at
http://www.novannet.com/wedi/CPP_Elements.xls

Thanks again,
-Chris

Christopher J. Feahr, OD