From: Paul Weber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 11:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: An Overview or Primer Document

Putting on my provider hat for a moment: I've followed this thread trying to
understand how this working paper project benefits my organization (large
nationwide provider of ancillary services) as we deal with HIPAA compliance.
Frankly, I'm not convinced that this effort helps me right now nor in the
near term.

Although this CPP project may have long term benefits, I have to wonder just
how much participation and interest there will be industrywide in order to
drive the CPP. Knowledge resources are already scarce within covered
entities. Money for new projects is tight; besides the issue of constricting
revenue in our industry many organizations are just now realizing the costs
associated with HIPAA compliance. So when the CPP initiative effort hits the
mainstream of the industry, folks are going to want to know what does it do
for me today? Why should I divert attention from my already overburdened
HIPAA compliance efforts to focus on yet another industry initiative,
especially one that is non-mandated? How many other entities in the industry
are actually going to participate? And why should I spend money and human
resources to support this CPP effort when we already have a way to deal with
new trading partners?

In short, just be prepared to sell this "product" to a less than enthusastic
marketplace.

Paul Weber
916-449-6970